Jose Mourinho a Stanford bridge gaffer
has paid tribute to himself following a victory over Fulham at Stamford Bridge
maintaining that He’s a victim of his own success. Jose Mourinho admitted, was
largely his own fault. And no, that was not because of anything he might have
got wrong, such as the startling exclusion of Juan Mata and David Luiz from his
entire match day squad, but rather his extraordinary past record.
“When
you win once in 10 years people don’t expect a lot of you,” Mourinho said.
“When you win in 10 consecutive years people expect a lot. I am guilty of that
and accept the critics. That is my fault. My fault.”
Mourinho is only totally right considering Roman
Abramovich’s previous impatience is the main explanation for the focus on the
struggles of Chelsea managers
– but it was a nice diversionary tactic and part of a vintage post-match
performance that far exceeded anything his team had actually produced.
Having sent a few verbal hand grenades in the
direction of the Sky punditry team of Jamie Redknapp and Ruud Gullit, Mourinho
was also open in explaining that Mata and Luiz simply needed to look in the
mirror to understand why they had been dropped. With Oscar scoring in the
absence of Mata and Chelsea so defensively secure, Mourinho will know that his
biggest problem is actually with the strikers.
There is a theory that he would actually
prefer all the spotlight to be on Mata and Luiz rather than Samuel Eto’o,
Fernando Torres or Demba Ba. Five Premier League matches have now passed and, with John
Obi-Mikel also scoring on Sunday, we are still waiting for the first Premier
League goal this season from a Chelsea striker.
“The only way is to work,” Mourinho said.
“Samuel is understandable. You are on the top of the world for almost 10 years
and then you go to a different reality [in Russia]. We know he went there for
economic reasons. I knew his level would go down but for me he is a very good
player. He is lacking sharpness but that is normal.